The Williamson County Public Library Board of Trustees authorizes the Library Director to implement the following procedures to ensure that the Patron Code of Conduct is adhered to and that the Library is preserved for the purposes for which it is intended. The purpose of the Patron Code of Conduct is to protect patrons’ rights as long as this Code of Conduct is not violated.
To ensure that Library facilities provide a welcoming atmosphere for all Library patrons and Library staff, the Board of Trustees has established the following Patron Code of Conduct. All Library patrons are expected to adhere to the Patron Code of Conduct and exercise appropriate behavior at all branches and the main library of the Williamson County Public Library System (hereafter “Library”).
Reasonably quiet and reserved behavior is expected on Library property. Patrons shall be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library while on Library property. A Patron’s right to access the Library is not an absolute right and can be lost for engaging in conduct that violates this Code of Conduct.
Library staff will be respectful of all patrons and will enforce the Patron Code of Conduct to ensure that the Library is preserved for the purposes for which it is intended. Patrons are expected to follow Library staff directives regarding use of the Library. Patrons who violate the Patron Code of Conduct, and/or disregard staff directives may be asked to leave the Library. Suspension of Library privileges may result. Written records of Library suspensions and incident reports will be kept on file with the Library Director. As necessary, the Franklin Police Department and/or the Williamson County Sheriff’s Department may be called should the patron’s actions so warrant.
Inappropriate conduct includes any individual or group activity which is not conducive to usage of the Library or disturbs the Library environment in the judgment of the Library staff present and the Library Director, if present. Threats of any kind, behavior, or acts which appear to be a danger to Library staff and/or patrons are all strictly prohibited. There will be zero tolerance for any threats and any such actions will be reported to the police/sheriff.
Examples of inappropriate use of the Library or behavior include but are not limited to:
- Performing any illegal act or conduct in violation of federal, state or local law, ordinance, regulation or other Library Policy
- Impeding ingress or egress to/from the Library
- Damaging Library property
- Altering or damaging setup of computer equipment or software
- Writing in or damaging Library materials
- Removal or attempted removal of Library materials or property without checking them out or without authorization
- Damaging or using furniture in any manner for which it was not intended
- Disruptive, drunken, or threatening behavior
- Conducting loud conversations or engaging in arguments
- Making obscene gestures
- Transmitting threatening or abusive language or images
- Chronic sleeping
- Any conduct that harasses another patron or staff
- Acts of sexual misconduct, sexual harassment or stalking
- Offensive touching
- Displaying obscene material or pornography in any format that violates federal, state, local laws or Library policies adopted by the Board of Trustees
- Any conduct that alarms, annoys or harasses another patron or staff
- Unacceptable personal hygiene that is offensive to patrons or staff
- Using Library rest room facilities for inappropriate purposes such as bathing or washing clothes
- Inappropriately clothed - shirt and shoes must be worn
- Exhibiting any item in a threatening manner
- Consumption of alcohol, intoxicants, or tobacco
- Bringing animals into the building except properly identified service animals, or animals used in Library programs – service animals shall not be left alone
- Soliciting money, donations, signatures, or other activities that request assistance from the public
- Entering before or after open hours
- Using the Library when privileges have been suspended or revoked
- Photographing other users of the Library without their permission and permission of the Library Director
Individuals of all ages are expected to follow these rules. Individuals who violate the Code of Conduct may be suspended or banned from the Library properties and/or prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Staff may tell any patron who has engaged in any inappropriate behavior in violation of this Code of Conduct to immediately leave the Library. Any person who has been told to leave the Library and refuses to leave will be considered to be trespassing resulting in notification of law enforcement.