card-holders in good standing.
Class participants must know how to:
- Use a keyboard and mouse
- Open and close a program
- Find and use menus and scroll bars
- Registration is required for all classes
- Register online, call (615) 595-1243, or stop by the Reference Desk
- Classes with less than 8 registered to attend will be canceled
- Microsoft Office 2010 is used to teach all classes
- April 12 (Tuesday, 3:00pm - 5:30pm) Introduction to Microsoft Excel Basics I
- April 14 (Thurssday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to Microsoft Excel Basics II
- April 19 (Tuesday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to the Computer
- April 21 (Thursday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Surfing the Web 101
- April 26 (Tuesday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to Microsoft Word I
- April 28 (Thursday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to Microsoft Word II
- April 29 (Friday, 10:00am - 11:30pm) Introduction to Ancestry.com
- April 29 (Friday, 2:00pm - 4:00pm) i101 (Meeting Room)
REGISTRATION BEGINS MAY 1st
- May 10 (Tuesday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to the Computer
- May 12 (Thursday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Diving Into Databases
- May 17 (Tuesday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to Microsoft Word I
- May 19 (Thursday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to Microsoft Word II
- May 20 (Friday, 10:00am - 11:30am) Introduction to Ancestry.com
- May 24 (Tuesday, 3:00pm - 5:30pm) Introduction to Microsoft Excel Basics I
- May 26 (Thursday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to Microsoft Excel Basics II
- May 27 (Friday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to Facebook
- May 31 (Tuesday, 3:00pm - 5:00pm) Introduction to PowerPoint
Introduction to the Computer: Can't tell your hardware from your software or your mouse from your monitor? Beginners can learn about the parts of computers and the Windows operating system – the basics needed to start using a computer. This class is for those with very limited or no experience with computers. It is not a typing or keyboarding class.
Introduction to Email: Learn how to compose, send, read, reply to, forward, and delete messages. We'll also cover folders, address book, and e-mail terminology and etiquette. *Prerequisites: "Introduction to the Computer" AND "Surfing the Web 101" or equivalent skills.
R.E.A.D.S. eBooks: eREADER101: There are thousands of eBooks available for you to borrow from the library through our R.E.A.D.S database for FREE! Library staff will introduce you to R.E.A.D.S. and show you how to download books to your Kindle, Paperwhite, Nook or other eReader. Be sure to bring your eReader if you have one.
R.E.A.D.S. eBooks: APP 101: Thousands of eBooks can be borrowed from the library with the READS database app for FREE! Library staff will introduce you to the free OverDrive Media Console app and show you how to download it and use it. Bring your tablet or smart phone and your library card.
i 101: Do you have or are you thinking about getting an iPad or iPhone? Come learn some of the basics. This roundtable will cover searching, installing and removing apps, creating folders and more.
Introduction to Microsoft Excel Basics I:This class is an introduction to Excel. Participants will create a basic spreadsheet, perform simple formatting (alignment, numbers, font style and size), sort, print, and save a spreadsheet. *Prerequisites: “Introduction to the Computer” or equivalent skills; experience with Microsoft Word is preferred. Please note this class is roughly 2.5 hours.
Introduction to Microsoft Excel Basics II:This class is for participants with some experience with basic spreadsheets. This class offers an introduction to simple formulas as well as cell references. *Prerequisites: “Introduction to MS Excel I” or equivalent skills; experience with Microsoft Word is preferred. This class runs about 2 hours.
Introduction to Microsoft PowerPoint: Do you have a public speaking engagement or presentation? Learn how you can use PowerPoint to enhance it. This class will show participants the basics in creating a PowerPoint slide show, from changing the slide background and colors to adding clip art and sounds. *Prerequisites: "Introduction to the Computer" or equivalent skills; experience with Microsoft Word is preferred.
Introduction to Microsoft Publisher: Microsoft Publisher is a software program used to create a variety of promotional materials, such as brochures, invitations and business cards. We will identify and navigate the basic features and elements of the Microsoft Publisher program. Participants will create and format text boxes; insert WordArt and other graphics; and design a flier and business card. *Prerequisites: "Introduction to the Computer" or equivalent skills; experience with Microsoft Word is preferred.
Introduction to Microsoft Word I: This class is for people with limited experience using word processing software. Participants will learn the basic MS Word tools, how to type a paper or letter using Word, how to save documents to a disc, basic formatting commands including setting margins, selecting and modifying text, cutting and pasting text, and how to open and save documents. Participants will also learn multiple ways of completing particular tasks using MS Word. This is not a typing or keyboarding class. *Prerequisites: "Introduction to the Computer" or the equivalent skills.
Introduction to Microsoft Word II: This class is for people with some experience using word processing software. Participants will learn how to insert clip art, create lists, make columns, format paragraphs and create tables. This is not a typing or keyboarding class. *Prerequisites: "Introduction to MS Word I" or the equivalent skills.
Surfing the Web 101: Don't be overwhelmed by the web! Come to this class to learn the basics of navigating the web. We will introduce you to web browsers and search engines, teach you how to search online, and how to evaluate what you find online. *Prerequisites:"Introduction to the Computer" or the equivalent skills.
Introduction to Twitter: Learn about Twitter, what it is, how it works, and how you can use it to your advantage personally, or for your business. Class includes step-by-step site navigation and account set up and maintenance.
Facebook Profiles 101: This class covers creating an individual profile, the newsfeed, networking, privacy settings, creating an avatar, navigation, applications and status updates.
Editing Digital Photographs: Learn basic digital photograph terminology, uploading and downloading, editing tips and tricks and explore the free online photo editor PicMonkey. Be sure to bring your digital camera and connector, or a USB or CD with photographs so that you have something to practice with during the class.
Introduction to Pinterest Learn about and gain hands-on experience with Pinterest the increasingly popular image-based online community. Pinterest is a photo sharing website that allows users to create theme-based collections related to their personal interests by "pinning" images to "boards." You can use "boards" to plan events like weddings, decorate your home and dream home, and visually organize your favorite recipes, crafts, and more!
Introduction to Ancestry.com Ancestry.com is one of the most powerful and user friendly genealogy tools available, and patrons can access Ancestry free with a WCPL card within the library! This introduction will cover the basics of using Ancestry.com to search through census records, death certificates, family trees, and more to find your ancestors; as well as a few tips and tricks to help get more accurate results from your searches!
Gadget Zoo Terrified of technology? Baffled by BYOT? Get ready to conquer your technology fears at our Gadget Zoo! We will introduce you to some of the most commonly used devices or you can bring your own.
Appy Hour With millions of apps available for smart phone and tablet users, choosing the best apps for your purposes can be overwhelming. The best way to discover a great app is from a friend's recommendation. So, we are inviting new smartphone and tablet users and pros to join us for an Apple & Android app mixer. Bring your device and your favorite apps! Library staff will share their favorite reading apps, as well as apps for daily fun and practical use.
Sessions may be scheduled by appointment with a member of the Reference staff.
- call or stop by the Reference desk to schedule a 30 minute session
- computer assistance customized to answer a specific question
- limited to patrons with a valid library card
Ideal for learning how to:
- create an email account
- manage your library account
- use electronic library resources
- format Word documents, Excel spreadsheets or PowerPoint presentations
Call the Reference Department at (615) 595-1243 for more information or to schedule a session.
We recommend practicing computer basics before attending a class.
Mousing Web Sites :
Hands on Computer Literacy Web Sites:
Jan's Illustrated Computer Literacy 101
- Computer Basics / Fundamentos de las Computadoras topics include desktop publishing, graphics, presentations, browser, web pages, email and more
- Working with Databases Microsoft Access
- Working with Windows Windows XP/Vista/Win 7 / Trabajando con Windows Windows 95/98/XP
- Working with Words word processing
- Working with Word 97-2003
- Working with Word 2007-2010
- Working with Spreadsheets / Trabajando con Números Hojas de Cálculo
- Working with Numbers Excel 97-2003
- Working with Numbers Excel 2007/2010
- Working with Presentations Microsoft PowerPoint 27-2010
- Working with the Web (Browser Basics & HTML Basics) version Trabajando con la Web
Note: If the Spanish text does not immediately appear or if your receive an page error, click on the "Refresh" button located in the horizontal toolbar at the top of your screen.
Basic Computer and Windows Terminology:
Jan's Working with Windows Glossary is an alphabetically arranged list of computer terms and phrases. If you don't see the word or phrase that you are looking for, use your browser's "Find" command to search for it within this glossary.
Learning Express Library click Learning Centers link to access interactive tutorial courses: Software Tutorials, and Software & Internet Basics.
- Getting Started with Computers
- Getting Started with the Internet
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe programs
- Windows & Mac operating systems